Sunday, March 18, 2012

Eddy Merckx inducted into the Giro d'Italia Hall of Fame

Eddy Merckx 1973 (wikipedia.org)
Milan, March 15, 2012 – Eddy Merckx has been inducted as the first member of the Giro d’Italia Hall of Fame in a special ceremony in Milan.

Merckx was presented the Giro d’Italia Hall of Fame trophy for 1974, the year of his final Giro d’Italia victory.

Merckx was known as the ‘Cannibal’ for his voracity and determination when racing but was a true gentleman off the bike and has remained friends with many of his former rivals.

Merckx is rightly considered as the most successful rider of all time. He won his first Giro d’Italia at the age of 22, won a total of 25 Giro stages, wore the race leader’s pink jersey for 78 days and lead the 1973 Giro d’Italia from start to finish. He won the Giro d’Italia for a total of five times: in 1968, 1970, 1972, 1973 and 1974.


“Being the first person in the Giro d’Italia Hall of Fame is a great honour for me. I consider Italy my second home. I’m loved as much in Italy as I am in Belgium. I have a lot of fans here and that’s very special for me” Merckx said.

See more: http://www.gazzetta.it

No comments:

Post a Comment